The world is a big place, and I want to see as much of it as I possibly can.
Friday, September 3, 2010
Noah must be crazy...
This week during our Bible lessons, we have been studying the story of Noah's Ark. Most of you know the story--God told Noah there was going to be a flood, so he needed to build a giant boat to keep himself and his family (and some animals) safe. So, Noah got to work building this ark. In class, I told my students that I really looked up to Noah, because I bet everyone around him thought he was absolutely crazy. Now, we already know from the story that they were all completely violent and evil--hence, the destruction. Noah must have looked like a complete fool. As I was telling my kids this, I kind of related to Noah a bit. My decision to move to the Philippines probably looked pretty ridiculous to a lot of people, and, if I am to be honest, it even sometimes seems ridiculous to me. I mean, I move *by myself* to the complete other side of the world from my entire family, a great job, friends, security, a church that I love...yeah, talking about it makes it sound like maybe I should be put into an institution. So, maybe I am crazy. Like Noah. But Noah and I have something else in common--we are both doing what we were instructed to do. And that's what makes the difference. Now, I'm doubting that my obedience is going to be as dramatic as Noah's (I sure am glad he built that boat--for all of our sakes!), but I do not doubt that it is right. And that's why I think I am in exactly the right place right now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment