I posted a blog a while back that had some of my reflections 6 months after my return from the Phils, but I figured it was time for me to post again now that it has been a year since I came back to the States.
First, I have to start by saying that I cannot believe I have been home for over a year now; the memories I have from the Philippines are so fresh and vivid that it hardly seems possible that I have been home longer than I was there. Just reading the 6 month post was difficult for me, because I miss it so much. The top ten list I made turned out to be pretty accurate.
I have never doubted that God wanted me to come home when I did--if I didn't, I wouldn't have had the amazing class I did this year. I wouldn't have gotten to know Rylie girl and be home when Judah officially became a Middleton. Those are moments I have cherished. But I also think there is a really good chance I will end up overseas again in the future. Just a heads up. Like I mentioned in my 6 month post, I am split in half. And that is not going to change.
Most of you know that I spend a big portion of my free time hanging out with high school students. You may find it odd, but I just love those kids. They have so much energy and passion. Here's a throwback to some cool kids I got to hang out with in the Phils.
![]() |
| The servants of Annie! |
In getting to know some of these students, I got to talk a lot about my experiences from high school and give wisdom based on the mistakes I have made in the past. I also got to talk a lot (too much?) about my time in the Philippines and overseas, which I really hope inspires them to spend some time doing something overseas to get a glimpse of the way most of the world lives. I would not trade my travels around the world for anything, because they truly have made me the person I am today, and I hope that God continues to use me in ways to bring him glory--whether that's teaching overseas, working in an orphanage, or spending 8 days on a bus with teenagers. I guess it's really all about being available. One of my favorite Jim Elliot (missionary to Ecuador) quotes is "Wherever you are, be all there."
One of the fun things we did with our many hours on the bus was Mad Libs. Here are some funny lines I'd like to share....
"I was echoing so hard that I had freckles running down my bus captain." (this was hilarious, because I was their bus captain)
"This morning I brought a pair of squirrels to class."
"Citizens are encouraged to stay indoors and remain calm, cool, and loosey-goosey."
"He was everything I wanted: tall, dark, and creepy."
"I feel I'm not losing a ketchup, but gaining a soy sauce."
There are too many to list, but it was a very fun activity to fill the time.
In summary: I miss the Phils, I love those WEAG kids, and I am excited to be used by God wherever He may lead me in the future.

Love this :)
ReplyDelete