Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Top 10 List!

Recently, I have been asked, "What are you going to miss about the Philippines?"  I wanted to share those things with everyone in the Phils, along with all of my friends and family back home who might like a glimpse into life over here.  So, I have created a list of...

The Top 10 Things I'll Miss About the Phils:

10.  My pale skin is attractive here.  That's right.  Filipinos are working hard to make their skin lighter, while back at home, my pasty white skin is a bit of a sore spot for me.  I like the fact that in stores almost all of the lotions and things have an added whitening effect.  It makes me feel pretty.

9.  When I enter a store, someone says, "Hello, ma'amsir."  What more can I say?  It's hilarious and really makes me feel like an individual (sarcasm).

8.  C2.  I don't know who created this drink, but I am thankful they did.  It's a sweetened, flavorful green tea.  My favorite flavors are apple and strawberry, and I'm pretty sure you can't get it anywhere in the States.  But I will begin my search on June 12.

7.  The uniqueness of the third world.  The other day on the way to church, we got stuck behind a truck that said, "Hog Dealer," which had 5 pigs shoved into the back of it (I took a picture--no worries).  I'll mostly miss cows and goats roaming the streets of the valley, but definitely topping this list is the chicken that crosses the road.  It makes me laugh every time.

6.  Living near the water.  I don't necessarily live in the city, but we're about 10 miles out, so it's not far to get to the bay.  Whenever we travel, we always end up taking a boat, and it's just so spectacular.  I'll miss the beauty of it.  Virginia Beach just can't compare to the beaches I've seen here.  With that said, I am very much looking forward to doing some hiking when I get home!

5.  Being in ASIA!  I love Asia--who knew?  I have had the awesome opportunity to travel to Korea, Thailand, and Hong Kong while living in the Philippines, and I have adored each of these places so much.  I love that in every restaurant--even McDonald's--I can order rice!  Mostly, I will miss Koreans and that culture.  I have loved being around them and eating their food. 

4.  Leaving my trash everywhere.  I love the fact that when I leave Starbucks, I don't have to worry about doing something with my trash.  I just leave it there, and someone comes after me to pick it up.  This is a great service.  So, if we are at Starbucks in America, and I leave my trash behind, please don't judge me.  I've just embraced the Asian culture.  I think we should bring it to the States.

3.  Cheap movies and dining out.  I think coming home will be hard, especially when I go out to eat for the first time.  Not only can I get an entire meal at a nice restaurant for about $4-$5, but tipping is already included, so that's optional.  Movies here only cost about $3-$4, and you can bring a full dinner into the theater (and you don't have to hide it!).  In fact, at one theater here, you pay about $8,  you sit in a recliner, and they bring you unlimited popcorn and drinks.  It really doesn't get much better than that.

2.  Someone always pumps my gas.  I LOVE this service of the Philippines.  I really hate pumping my own gas, so when I moved here, I was so excited to learn that all you have to do is pull up to the pump, tell them how much to put in, and sit back and relax.  They'll also wash your windows, check your oil, and fill your tires with air (this must be done quite regularly in the Phils).  This is another one of those services I think we should bring to the States...

and...the NUMBER ONE thing I'll miss about the Philippines.....

1.  The Faith Academy community.   Of course.  I have made so many great friendships here, and I am so sad to leave.  This is an amazing and unique place to be, and I am so thankful that God called me to be a part of this school for the year.  I WISH I felt led to stay, but I don't, and it is with a very heavy heart that I say farewell to the people I've come to know over this past year.  Faith Academy is a great school, and it has been a blessing to be a part of so many ministries in the Philippines.  I will definitely miss the Faith Academy staff, my fellow co-workers, and the students I have come to know and love this year.  I definitely recommend it as a great place to do ministry!

No comments:

Post a Comment