Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves

I received an email with this video, and I wanted to share it with you all.  This is an issue that is so close to my heart, and has been since my first trip to Brazil in 2002 when I was able to work in an orphanage in Sao Paulo (WEAG youth is heading there today! Praying that God would touch their hearts the way he did mine so many years ago!).  It has only grown closer to my heart as I've witnessed my brother and sister-in-law adopt two beautiful children from China.  


Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.
James 1:27

As Christians, we are ALL called to help the orphan. Whether you feel called to adopt or not, there is always something that you can do. Missions trips, volunteering, or donating in some way. I highly recommend checking out this organization, Show Hope, founded by Steven and Mary Beth Chapman. I recently became a sponsor, and it is so humbling to hear stories like this and know that my small part is making a HUGE difference in the lives of families and orphans around the world. 

Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows.
Isaiah 1:17

Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed. Yes, speak up for the poor and helpless, and see that they get justice.
Proverbs 31:8-9

Consider it! The story of this little girl was so encouraging, but also heart-breaking to think about the millions of children like her that may not be so blessed. Stop and pray about what YOU can do for those who cannot speak up for themselves. 



No comments:

Post a Comment