
Well, I just returned from my trip to Korea, and I have *almost* recovered as far as sleep goes (we arrived at 2am on Tuesday and then I had to be at work at 6:30, so...it was a bit of a struggle!).
The conference was great, and they had some great speakers, including the president of Compassion International, who is (obviously) a huge advocate for children. While there were educational sessions pertaining to teaching and learning, I found the sessions geared towards the Korean culture to be most helpful. As you know, about half of my class is Korean. While we are educated at Faith to help us understand this culture, it was an awesome privilege to hear from Koreans and interact with them in a "normal" way--and on their own turf. One morning, I was blessed to be able to pray with a Korean. I loved it, because it just reminded me of how big God is--I couldn't understand what she was saying, but it didn't matter, because we serve a God who is bigger than language barriers.
 |
| Timmy, me, Danny, and Katie | | |
|
What a blessing! Some friends I made at my training in New York this summer were also attending the conference. They are all RAs at a school in Korea. They were a wealth of knowledge as they helped me navigate the Seoul subway system!
 |
| I got to celebrate a birthday Mexican style! |
Manila is not exactly known for its quality of Mexican food, so when my friends suggested we go to "On the Border" for dinner, I was
ALL in. While spending the day with them, it was so funny to compare Korea and the Phils. Funny, because it is so hard for me to describe Manila to outsiders. I eventually gave up and told them they would have to see it to understand. It's truly a unique place, and I do love it--most of the time!
 |
| I can't pronounce the name of this, but it's a very old palace in Seoul. And very cool! I loved the mountains behind it. |
 |
| Kristy and me at Seoul tower. We hiked a LONG way (it felt that way)! |
Micah and Kristy also have some friends living in Seoul, teaching at an international school there. They live really close to Seoul Tower, which is a "must-see" for first time visitors. It was quite a hike through the woods, but definitely rewarding. Along the walls are padlocks of those who have made a commitment to love someone forever. They were everywhere!
(Their friend also loaned me an appropriate winter coat, which was very much appreciated!)
 |
| The Korean War Museum was closed, but we got to look around at the memorial and aircraft. |
 |
| Yeah, that's right--it snowed!!! |
You have already gathered from the pictures that it was COLD in Korea. Maybe you didn't think about it, because it's cold where you are, but this was different for me, coming from the Phils. People living in Korea would say things like, "Oh, it must be so nice and warm in the Philippines!" No, I would respond. Don't say that. It's pretty much hot and humid, not what I would call "nice" or "warm." Anyway, it's odd for a person like me to be living in the Phils, because I hate hot weather and love fall and winter. And check out what the Lord sent me--snow!
Now, I know it's not a LOT of snow, but I can't even express how excited I was to see those first few white flakes falling from the sky! I basically took the blame for the snow in Virginia last year, because I prayed so hard for one really good snowstorm before I moved. We got about three, which was fine with me, since I absolutely love snow.
 |
| A local market in Seoul. I took this photo because it reminded me of Manila. |
|
|
|
It was a great time, and I just loved Korea. I'm hoping to visit again in the future--and maybe pick up a few more Korean words. I impressed (I think) my students when I came back with a few words! I could tell that they missed me, but I could also tell that it meant something to my Korean students that I had seen their home. I can understand that, because I would love for so many of you to be able to see my life here in the Phils. Thanks for all of the prayers and support to get me to Korea--it was truly amazing!
People put locks like that on the Great Wall too! Glad you had a good time!
ReplyDeleteSounds awesome Sher! We missed you at Thanksgiving. Love you!
ReplyDeleteGreat story.
ReplyDelete