Sunday, November 21, 2010

Painting Pictures of Egypt

There have been a lot of things going on in the past month, and I am so sorry that I have been so lazy with my updates on my blog!  Overall, things are moving into a pretty normal routine, which is nice.  I have started helping to coach the girls Varsity basketball team at Faith Academy, which is really awesome.  I don't do much as far as real coaching goes, but I am kind of the female representative so the girls feel that they have someone to come to if they need it.  It does give me a great opportunity to develop relationships with some of the high schoolers, as well as relive the good ol' days of playing basketball. 

One afternoon, I was talking with another teacher who has been here for about 7 years.  I was just sharing with her the feelings I'm experience while here in the Philippines, and she said, "You should listen to the song "Painting Pictures of Egypt" because everything you are saying right now sounds like that song.  So, naturally, I went that day to get that song and listen to it, and she was right on.  I have posted the lyrics on here, because I feel they do a much better job than I would at expressing the tugs on my heart while I am here...

I don't wanna leave here, I don't wanna stay
It feels like pinching to me either way
And the places I long for the most are
Places where I've been
They are calling out to me like a long lost friend

It's not about losing faith, it's not about trust
It's all about comfortable when you move so much
And the place I was wasn't perfect, but I had found a way to live
And it wasn't milk or honey, but then neither is this

I've been painting pictures of Egypt
Leaving out what it lacks
The future feels so hard, and I wanna go back
The places that used to fit me cannot hold the things I've learned
Those roads were closed off to me while my back was turned

The past is to tangible, I know it by heart
Familiar things are never easy to discard
I was dying for some freedom, but now I hesitate to go
I am caught between the promise and the things I know

I've been painting pictures of Egypt
Leaving out what it lacks
The future feels to hard, and I wanna go back
The places that used to fit me cannot hold the things I've learned
Those roads were closed off to me
Those roads were closed off to me
While my back was turned

If it comes too quick, I may not appreciate it
Is that the reason behind all this time and sand?
If it comes too quick, I may not recognize it
Is that the reason behind all this time and sand?

(The song is by Sara Groves)

I leave for Korea on Tuesday!  Please pray for an awesome time of learning--about writing, of course, but also learning more about the Korean culture in the context of Korea itself.  Thanks for your prayers and support.

2 comments: