Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A New Class

The beginning of a new school year is always exciting for me, but it's also difficult.  Only in the sense that I sometimes have a hard time warming up to a new class because I was so fond of the one from the year before.  It doesn't matter how challenging a group may have been, they were still *my* class, and I loved them.  This year was no different, but I must say that I am quickly growing in affection for this group of children (and it's only been 5 days!).  I think it's a good sign! 

Yesterday, I had some students working on something while I pulled one at a time back to read with me.  I had told them that I would call them over and they could pick a book they wanted me to hear.  One student was anxiously pacing back and forth around my reading table clutching a book.  He kept hovering over the person reading (until I finally told him he had to sit down or I wouldn't read with him!  Then, he sat and didn't move).  His excitement to read with me was hilarious because he simply could not contain it.  Finally, it was his turn to read.  He quickly sat down and opened his book.  The book he had chosen was called, "Bears at Night" and it started with the words, "Woooooo."  He read that first page as if he was about to tell me the scariest ghost story ever.  This made it difficult not to laugh, but I kept my composure as he read the book to me.  I think the best part about my day was just realizing that not only am I warming up to this new group, but they (or, some of them) are quickly warming up to me, too.  I have a GREAT class!

Even so,  I still think often of my class from last year, and I hope they are doing well.  I will miss seeing them start second grade!

2 comments:

  1. So, I'm wondering when you'll stop counting days =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon! I just love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete