Sunday, August 8, 2010

Feeling Almost Normal

Well, as the title of this post suggests, I am feeling a little bit more settled here in the Philippines.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still adjusting, but I have had some successful days.  First, I have to start by letting everyone know that the boys who burned the brownies totally redeemed themselves by baking another batch of delicious goodness at the correct temperature, which they shared with me (I told them I would be sure the world knew of their skills!) 

School started this past Thursday, and the first two days went very well.  It's weird to realize that I am at a new school--I still feel so much a part of my old school (Holladay) and there are a lot of differences between the two.  At the same time, children are pretty universal, and I love teaching, so school has really helped me adjust here.  It's the place where I feel most normal, where I feel the most confident in what I can do (because everything else is pretty much still a mystery!).  So, it has been nice to be there and to get back into my stride in the classroom. 

I also had a GREAT day yesterday.  They say that here in the Philippines, you should only try to accomplish one errand per day.  Well, if you have met me, then you know that is not an easy attitude for me to take on.  Luckily, I have found that I can get by on a few more :)  The morning started by heading to Starbucks with some of my fellow friends and teachers.  There, I was able to plan my entire week at school, while enjoying a delicious (and familiar) beverage.  After accomplishing that, we were able to go to the mall that is attached to the Starbucks (SM Taytay is the name of the mall, pronouced like "Tie Tie").  I got several little things I needed in my apartment (like a mop and candles for when the power goes out).  It was the best I have felt after running errands since I've been here.  Then we went swimming, and I did a workout video that was routine for me back in the States, and that's when I really felt like I was normal again!

The best thing that has happened is that my internet has begun to work a little better.  It is still slower than others, but I have been able to Skype with my family a couple of times, which has made things a lot easier.  The hardest thing for me is to have to make a lot of decisions without being able to consult my family first or ask their advice.  I have great friends here, but it's different with family (maybe because family kind of has to help me! :)).  So, all in all, things are getting better and better.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment