Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"...like drinking from a water hose"

That phrase has been commonly said while at this training in Houghton, New York, because of the vast amount of information that we are receiving in a short period of time.  I am here to learn more about teaching overseas, especially in a school where the students are living in a culture that's different from their parents' home culture.  A lot of the information we are getting is to help us understand where they are coming from and learn how we can apply that to our teaching and relationships with them.  Another prominent theme is dealing with transition.  While this can apply to many transitions in life, it is definitely true of moving (especially overseas, where everything people do will be different from my current home).  I know that the information won't necessarily make the transition to and from "easier" but it will allow me to understand what I'm going through and grow through the process.

The best thing about this training is that there are other teachers heading to Faith Academy who are here, and we have been able to spend a lot of time together and get to know each other.  I can't tell you how comforting it is to know that I will have some already developed friendships waiting for me in Manila. 

I called home earlier this evening, and I told my mom that the staff here has been telling us that we are going to leave here with friends who are serving all of the world, not just in our field.  I didn't really believe that; after all, how in the world can we be expected to make friends with people when it's quite possible that we'll never see them again after this training?  I had to admit to her, though, that I can see the possibility of that already, and I've only been here 4 days.  It's amazing how much you get to know people in settings like this, where the issues are cutting into your heart, and everyone is going through a similar transition.  I have heard about lots of different amazing places all over the world, so who knows where I'll end up next.....

Please keep praying for my time here.  I am having fun, but there is still a part of me that wishes I was at home, able to get things done and able to spend time with my family and friends.  I know that the training and relationship building is valuable, though, and I want to make the most of the learning opportunities.

Thanks for reading this long blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment